Privacy and Data Protection Policy
Edmund Hillary Fellowship Limited (EHF, we, us, our) takes privacy very seriously and complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the Website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
In these Terms:
Application means an application for a Fellowship submitted electronically via the Website at www.ehf.org.
Application Terms means the Edmund Hillary Fellowship application terms at www.ehf.org/terms.
Fellow means a person who has been formally accepted by EHF for a Fellowship.
Fellowship means an Edmund Hillary Fellowship, as further described on the Website.
Fellowship Terms means the Fellowship code of conduct and any other terms and conditions relating to Fellowships that you agree to, if you are offered a Fellowship.
Global Impact Visa means the New Zealand work visa further described at https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/options/start-a-business-or-invest/i-want-to-invest-or-do-business-in-nz/the-global-impact-visa.
Immigration NZ means Immigration New Zealand, the New Zealand Government agency that manages immigration to New Zealand, including the issuing of Global Impact Visas.
Website means the internet site at www.ehf.org.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you interact with EHF, we may collect personal information from or about you. This collection can occur in several ways.
- Information you provide to us directly. If you submit a Fellowship Application or participate in the Fellowship programme, we will ask you to submit personal information as part of that process. We will also collect personal information from you if you choose to receive updates from us, contact us (e.g. via telephone call or email), or otherwise submit your personal information to the Website.
- Information provided by Immigration NZ. Immigration NZ will share a limited amount of information with EHF related to your application for a Global Impact Visa, such as the current visa application status and whether or not the visa has been revoked. Other information may be requested directly from you by Immigration NZ as part of the Global Impact Visa application process, but that information is not collected or received by EHF.
- Information provided by third parties. If you choose to submit a Fellowship Application, we may collect information about you from third parties referenced in your Application (e.g. from a character reference), as well as supplementary public information from reputable third party data providers such as Salesforce.com and LinkedIn, in accordance with the Application Terms.
If possible, and except as set out in the Application Terms and Fellowship Terms (if these apply to you), we will collect personal information from you directly.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will use your personal information:
- to verify your identity
- to market our services to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
- if you submit an Application, to process your Application in accordance with the Application Terms and to verify your compliance with the Application Terms
- if you are accepted to the Fellowship programme, to provide the Fellowship programme to you and to verify your compliance with the Fellowship Terms
- to improve the services that we provide
- to authorise and process credit card transactions
- to respond to communications from you, including a complaint
- to conduct research and statistical analysis
- to carry out and prepare case studies
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
DISCLOSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO IMMIGRATION NZ
If you submit an Application, and are not a New Zealand citizen or resident, we may disclose personal information about you to Immigration NZ as follows:
- We will provide Immigration NZ with anonymised demographic information on each applicant pool.
- If you are shortlisted for a Fellowship, and there is any information in your Application that we consider may materially affect or delay you obtaining a Global Impact Visa, we may provide your name and that specific information to Immigration NZ.
- Immigration NZ, or its representative, may observe the Application evaluation and selection process, in order to evaluate the manner in which applicants are being assessed and selected. As part of this, Immigration NZ, or its representative, may observe personal information about you, but will not receive, create or take away any documents that contain personal information. The Immigration NZ personnel involved in these observations will not be involved in decisions of granting Global Impact Visas.
- Except as set out above, if we do not select you for a Fellowship, we will not provide Immigration NZ with any personally identifiable information about you.
- If we decide to offer a Fellowship to you, we will provide the information in your Application to Immigration NZ, except that we will not provide any information that you have marked in your Application as commercially sensitive this to Immigration NZ without your consent.
- We will not provide Immigration NZ with information about you that we have obtained from third parties through the due diligence process described in the Application Terms without your consent, except that, if we determine that such third party information serves as a disqualifying factor and results in us eliminating your Application from the application process or withdrawing an offer of a Fellowship (as defined in the Disqualification section of the Application Terms), we may provide that specific disqualifying information to Immigration NZ.
- We will provide Immigration NZ with information on the activities, impact and success stories of each Fellowship cohort.
- We will provide Immigration NZ with case studies to highlight individual Fellows’ impact, as well as contact information for Immigration NZ evaluators to conduct surveys, interviews, and other forms of research.
- We will provide Immigration NZ with regular update reports on your activities and integration process into New Zealand.
- We will inform Immigration NZ if you withdraw, or are disqualified, from the Fellowship programme.
- At the end of the Fellowship programme, we will provide Immigration NZ with a summary report on your activities and impact, and (subject to the Fellowship Terms) a letter to support your permanent residency application.
DISCLOSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO OTHER PERSONS
We may also disclose personal information about you as follows:
- We may disclose your personal information to any person who is directly involved in Application administration or evaluation, or the administration or provision of the Fellowship programme, such as directors, officers, employees, consultants, contractors, industry experts, professional advisors and evaluation panel members, but only for the purpose of Application administration or evaluation and/or administering or providing the Fellowship programme (as applicable).
- We may disclose your personal information to any business that supports the Application process or Fellowship programme, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system that we use to provide the Website, to administer or evaluate Applications, or to administer or provide the Fellowship programme.
- We may publish information on the activities, impact and success stories of each Fellowship cohort on the Website and in other marketing materials.
- We may provide anonymised information to other third parties (including by publication on the Website and in other marketing materials).
- We may disclose your personal information to a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority).
- We may disclose your personal information to any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency).
- We may disclose your personal information to any other person authorised by you.
A person who is involved in Application administration or evaluation, or the administration or provision of the Fellowship programme, or a business that supports our services and products, may be located outside New Zealand. This may mean your personal information is held and processed outside New Zealand.
PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse, including by implementing data security and management systems in accordance with accepted industry practice.
We will advise you at the first reasonable opportunity upon discovering or being advised of a security breach where your personal information is lost, stolen, accessed, used, disclosed, copied, modified, or disposed of by any unauthorised persons or in any unauthorised manner.
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
We may charge you our reasonable costs of providing to you copies of your personal information or correcting that information.
While we take reasonable steps to maintain secure internet connections, if you provide us with personal information over the internet, the provision of that information is at your own risk.